So much information everyday. As we are bombarded daily, we might get the illusion that we are actually being offered many different perspectives by traditional media because it appears the number of companies that we are dealing with has expanded. Not so.
Based on an excellent infographic from Frugal Dad, the reality is that media sources have never been more consolidated. Here are some interesting nuggets from the analysis.
1. In the US, six media giants control 90% of all TV, news, radio and film. (General Electric, News Corp., Disney, Viacom, Time Warner and CBS)
2. In 1983, 90% was controlled by 50 companies
3. 232 media executives control what is being seen by 277 million Americans
4. The Big 6 control 70% of your cable
5. 178 million unique users read Time Warner news every month
6. News Corp owns the top newspaper on three continents – North America, Europe and Australia
7. Clear Channel owns 1,200 radio stations
So even though there is more, there is actually less.
And I am sure that is why you read blogs!raphic report here – http://owni.eu/2011/11/25/infographic-media-consolidation-the-illusion-of-choice/
Access the full infog
Let me know what you think of the Webman’s blog below. Also if you have any ideas for a blog, send those along.