Interviewed a great person a few years ago for a business development position. When I asked her why she had been so successful, she responded, “If it is to be, it is up to me.” Best answer ever!
Seems to be a lot of excuses going around these days. In the workplace, many associates seem to blame circumstances or other people for their failure to get stuff done. In government, does anyone take accountability for anything? Been stuck on a bridge in New Jersey lately? Too many examples of people making commitments that they just do not live up to. Does anyone just stand up and take responsibility anymore? How about some honesty and integrity? Pretty rare these days. What are the drivers of this behavior?
Well, here is some great advice for you to remember and live by everyday:
- Accountability starts with you. Grab a glove and get in the game!
- Accountability is about being reliable. Do as you say!
- Accountability is ownership. Own it. If it fails, fix it.
- Accountability creates clarity. No questions required.
- Accountability is about trustworthiness. You deliver, maybe others will follow your lead.
- Accountability is a partnership. Do you want your partners/teammates letting you down? Did not think so!
- Successful leaders always show accountability.
Stop the noise. No more excuses. Get it done and do it with excellence. Why would you ever do less than your best? Original article can be found at http://www.lollydaskal.com/leadership/accountability-if-it-is-to-be-its-up-to-me/