We often talk about what is happening in mobile. Well, with the holiday shopping season now in full swing, we will cover some of the more recent trends in mobile shopping and the ever increasing impact of how these little hand held devices are changing everything we know about how people shop.
I found a great new web-site, Quartz, www.qz.com, that covers a variety of interesting topics including mobile. The facts below were provided in an article by Christopher Mims. He is the science and technology correspondent for Quartz. He believes that the most interesting things about the universe have yet to be discovered, and that technology is the primary driver of cultural change.
- 55% of mobile users buy products on their devices, but 80% research purchases on them
- Less than half of top retailers have a mobile site and app
- 88% of mobile users engage in some kind of mobile commerce
- 72% of consumers aged 20-40 in US and UK will use mobile devices to compare prices in-store
- 48 million US shoppers will use their smartphone as an “on-demand aide-de-camp” in stores
- $43.4 billion is what US holiday shoppers are expected to spend online this season, up 17% from last year
- 14% of people with mobile phones have used them to make purchases while drunk
- 23% of holiday shoppers in the US will spend more online than offline
- 28% of US adults with a mobile device will use them to shop on Thanksgiving, vs. 16% last year
- 32% of smartphone owners plan to download a shopping app for the holidays
- 89% of all website traffic from tablets comes from iPads
- 61% of all website traffic from smartphones comes from iPhones
- 1 in 3 US consumers is thinking about buying a tablet computer this holiday season
- 388 million Chinese access the web through their mobile phone, more than do so via PC
- There are 260 million mobile connections in Brazil, higher than its population
So are these smart devices that we are using really that important? You bet!
- 90% of 18-29 year olds sleep with their smartphones
- 1 in 3 people would rather give up sex than their phone
- 95% of people use the phone for something just before going to bed
- Half of people check their phones immediately if they wake up during the night
The game has changed. What game are you playing? If you are a retailer without a mobile strategy, time to make a change and get one.