Read a great article a few weeks ago about things that you should do to be happier. For those of us that lead our lives “half full”, we are constantly challenged at home and work by people that act like victims; those that find excuses for why they cannot succeed, or why they cannot accomplish what they want to; those that quit instead of persevering; those that fail to take chances; those that stay within their self-inflicted comfort zones; those going through live and not challenging it. Oxygen thieves, victims, half-empties, whiners; – I am sure you have other terms of endearment. When you see a number on your cell phone from one of these people, do you rush to answer it or let it go to voice mail? I know the answer 🙂
Here is a great list of things to STOP doing – you will absolutely be happier and see the world much differently:
- Blaming – Take responsibility when things go wrong instead of blaming other
- Impressing – Have genuine relationships
- Clinging – The act of trying alone will make you feel better about yourself
- Interrupting – Listen to others. They say really intelligent things
- Whining – Put your effort into making the situation better. Offer a solution and not a problem
- Controlling – Teams are very powerful when focused on a common goal
- Criticizing – See others differences as their gifts
- Preaching – Listening is much better
- Dwelling – Learn from mistakes but move on fast
- Fearing – Don’t let your fears hold you back. Whatever you’ve been planning, whatever you’ve imagined, whatever you’ve dreamed of, get started on it today.
Stop waiting for things to get better, make them better. Take responsibility for yourself, for your company, for your growth. If you exhibit any of these behaviors, just stop – they are holding you back from reaching your potential, your goals and living the life that you should be leading. Why choose to be a victim when you have what you need to make a difference. And if you cannot take the first step alone, look around; there are plenty of people that will help you grow and succeed beyond your imagination.
Don’t just sit there. Get mad and make things happen. Check out this video from the movie “Network”. Classic.
Pick one thing today that does not work and fix it. Then fix two things tomorrow………
2 thoughts on “Just Stop!”
Talk about your perfect world scenario.
How do you deal with the half that won’t “stop”, and they keep trying to pull you back into their norm?
Half the world is
Half the world was
Half the world thinks
While the other half does
RUSH, Test For Echo, Half The World (1996)