That cloud thing is becoming really important really quickly. For consumers and businesses. We have covered a number of emerging business opportunities recently but we are really at the tip of the iceberg.
Cloud services will become the glue that connects the web of devices that users choose to access their daily life in the cloud. The new iPad may be the most impressive piece of computing hardware ever seen. Yet its true power is held back by large enterprise software corporations that cannot keep pace with the new devices designed with cloud computing in mind…. It’s as if they’ve completely ignored one of the most successful computing platforms ever built, outselling the total number of PCs its closest competitor sold last quarter.
With the new iPad sold out, it seems only a matter of time that those not on board with the cloud — and with their wares available on any device — will face an existential question.
Here are the headlines for you:
- Users are more technologically-savvy and have very different expectations of technology.
- The internet and social media have empowered and emboldened users.
- The rise of powerful, affordable mobile devices changes the equation for users.
- Users are innovators.
- All users have similar technology available to them.
- People are visual – Sounds like an iPad to me
- Apps rock – they are great, they are pervasive and they are awesome
- Why have a lot of stuff on your hard drive when you can access your stuff in the cloud when you need it
- Mobile rocks and will be the primary way we interact with the web – desktop dead – being tethered dead, Niedermeyer dead
OK, I digress. But the headline is, no more big hard drives, you will just put it in the cloud, so wherever you are you can access it. Only portability you need now is your access device. Take a look at what is coming soon.
Hey it is now in the cloud and easy to find. As my friend Johnny says, “Are you kidding me?”
One thought on “Are you kidding me?”
This is great Steve! What industries are best positioned to leverage the cloud? Which will be hurt by it? Where are clouds “stored”? and what is the impact for storage media? What are some interesting applications in Education?