A few weeks ago, a relative sent the following to me in an e-mail. As we look at our country today, we are going through a very difficult time financially, with job security, ineffective government, strained international relations and a deteriorating global position. Many of you are struggling under these extreme burdens and life has become more stressful than ever before. Many of the basic principals of our nation are being challenged, as evidenced by the recent Warren Buffet article (See previous Web Blog on “Let’s end the Deficit now”)
I thought it would be great to illuminate one again the brilliance of One of our greatest leaders and founders of our country, Thomas Jefferson.
One evening, John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the White House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement: “This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone.”
Here are just a few of the many quotes and insights from Thomas Jefferson that resonate for all of us today, 200+ years later:
- “When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.”
- “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
- “It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.”
- “I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
- “My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
- “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
- “I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property – until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.”
Thomas Jefferson said that in 1802. Things that make you go hmmmmm…….
Where are you Thomas Jefferson? We need you now!
Thanks again for reading this blog. Let me know what you think by sending comments along below.
2 thoughts on “We Need Thomas Jefferson!”
You are so correct about needing Our founding fathers. How is it that we have no one with the guts, passion or intelligence to see us out of this mess? Hi Stephen! I now have a 4 yr old and I am one if the overly stressed. Hope all us well with you…